-1 bunch of scallions (green parts only) diced
-1 pinch of asafetida (if you have it- great thing to have around for onion/garlicy flavor)
-1 1/2 cups uncooked lentils (brown/green)
-1 tsp tomato paste
-4 cups water
-1 tablespoon chickpea miso
-2 tsp fresh thyme (or 1tsp of dried)
-1 10-oz bag of frozen mixed veggies (I usually go for carrots, green beans, peas)
-1.5 pounds of yukon gold potatoes
-2 pounds of sweet potatoes
-3 tbsp vegan butter
-1/2 cup of vegan milk (see homemade hemp milk recipe) or use whatever you have around!
-Salt and pepper
- Wash and cut potatoes into large cubes and place in a large pot. Fill the pot with water until all the potatoes are just covered. Bring the potatoes to a boil, salt the water, and cook until you can cut into them easily with a knife.
- Once cooked, strain the potatoes and place into a mixing bow. Mash the potatoes with the vegan butter, milk, salt pepper, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and grease a large baking dish (I use coconut oil and just spread it all over the bottom)
- In a saucepan sauté the scallions, asafetida powder, in a little olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and then add the lentils, stock (water mixed with chickpea miso), thyme, tomato paste, and stir. Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook lentils for 30 minutes then add in frozen veggies and a large scoop of mashed potatoes, cook for 10 more minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Transfer the Filling to the dish and top with mashed potatoes. Smooth out the mashed potatoes and put some salt and pepper on top.
- Place on baking sheet to catch overflow and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool and enjoy 🙂